One of the most popular card games in India, Rummy is a game where you must strive to improve the hand dealt to you by the dealer. The objective of the game is to create sequences and sets in order to score points and win. Players can do so by drawing fresh cards from a pile or picking a card that has already been thrown away by an opponent. In both cases, you must discard a card from your hand in return. These discarded cards are placed on a pile with the face up, so that other players can see what you have thrown.
What is the objective of the game?
From the cards in your hand, you must be able to create a sequence or a set to score points. A sequence refers to a group of cards in chronological order, while a set refers to matching cards of the same rank. For instance, a hand with 1,2,3 of clubs would be considered a sequence, while a hand with 2,2,2 of hearts, clubs, diamonds, and spades would be a set.
While creating these, remember that a hand with 2 of spades, 3 of clubs, and 4 of spades is not a sequence. The cards must belong to the same suit for the hand to be a valid one.
How to play rummy?
Once you understand the objective of the game, it is quite easy to understand how to play rummy. The
following are the steps that you must follow:
- Pick up your hand and group similar cards together to get an idea of what melds you can form.
- When it is your turn, you may either pick up an unseen card from the fresh pile, or a visible one from the discard pile to add to your meld.
- In return, you must discard a card from your hand.
- Wait for your turn for your next move.
- Once you have ensured that all your cards in your hand belong to a meld, you can then declare!
Should you play rummy online?
If you want to practice playing rummy on a regular basis, you should try doing so online. The ease and convenience of online platforms can help you ensure that you improve your skill with time! These days, one can find a myriad of online rummy platforms that offer variants on classic rummy for novice and skilled players to enjoy.
These online games are often free of cost, though many players in India are turning to tournaments and daily games that can help them earn money online. If you are interested in doing the same, you must:
- Ensure that you are playing on a secure platform – these games may require you to enter sensitive information such as your debit card or credit card information, and you should only do so if you feel the platform is secure.
- Ensure that you are skilled enough to play with others. Online rummy games offer a chance to win money, however, if you are extremely new at the game and are a little out of your depth, then you may end up losing a fair amount of money. Of course, one does not want to risk something like that, which is why you must practice first.
How to play rummy online?
In order to play rummy online, you must register on a platform. You can create an account with your name and e-mail ID, and join any practice games that may be live at that moment. Some online platforms offer points and bonuses for signing up, so keep that in mind when you pick the platform!